Sunday, April 12, 2009

USA! USA! USA! Captain Rescued!


US Navy and Navy Seals, we salute your professionalism, your training, and your marksmanship.

Captain Richard Phillips, we salute your bravery.

President Barack Obama, I must grudgingly admit that I am impressed. Well done.

I am hoping that future press reports will answer the question as to why Navy marksmen did not open fire on the pirates when Captain Phillips tried to swim to freedom a couple of days ago. Were they not authorized to do so then?

4 comments:

Jason said...

That is great news - just wish they had done it earlier!

Thanks for the link - you have a great site with lots of awesome info on holsters and I will link as well!

Jason

James A. Zachary Jr. said...

Cool! Thanks for stopping by, Jason.

Brigid said...

"impressed" is not the word I would use. but I see your point.

The sad thing is, 30 or 40 years ago, it would have been deemed almost comical that a few folks in fishing boats armed with not much more than a few assault rifles could capture ships right under the nose of the US Navy. Now, our leaders call it a "serious and complicated problem".

It isn't, but it will be if you treat it like one. Thoughout history, piracy has very simple and effective solutions. You get a VERY large cannon. End of problem.

Thank goodness for the bravery of a few men. Hats off to the Seals, and the Captain.

James A. Zachary Jr. said...

"Surprised" would have been a better word choice than "impressed." I was expecting this to turn into a Jimmy Carter replay.

One report I read said the Navy was not authorized to fire when the Captain tried to swim for it. If it proves true, it would not surprise me. If it proves true, I would find it troubling.