Monday, May 18, 2009

Blog site problems


Argh! I’ve been having problems with “something” and I don’t know what “something” is. Some of the blog sites I read via the sidebar of this site or via “blog-following” are giving me errors. Some give me frequent “link broken” or 404 errors, others don’t give me the most recent post; some freeze my screen while loading. Some have my browser going berserk and opening multiple screens … dozens of them that I cannot stop …

Some sites are no problem at all.

I scanned my ‘puter for viruses, cleared the cache, made sure all software updates were current, and I moved up to Windows Explorer 8, and some problems still exist.

On some blog sites, by dropping the “follow” or by removing them from my sidebar and re-listing them after a day or so seems to fix it … very bizarre …

Maybe I am pushing the limits of Blogger or IE.

8 comments:

Borepatch said...

IE? Ack! Biggest vector for malware, ever.

Run, do not walk, and download Firefox. Not perfect, but you'll lose a whole mess of viruses.

James A. Zachary Jr. said...

I was afraid of that. Very frustrating ...

Thanks for the advice.

Albert A Rasch said...

Zack,
Definitely migrate to Firefox. It is a much more stable platform and the the tool bar is easy to figure out. On my end I see your site clean, except it has a lot of different font colors, I don't know if you did that on purpose or not.

Regards,
Albert
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles.
The Range Reviews: Tactical.
Proud Member of Outdoor Bloggers Summit.

Crustyrusty said...

Yeah, what he said up there.

I'd also recommend losing Windows and installing Linux, but I realize that this isn't feasible for everyone. I use "PCLinuxOS" myself.

James A. Zachary Jr. said...

Thanks guys, looks like I am going to have to find some time, grit my teeth, and migrate from IE. Wish I knew why it is worse on some sites than others, but if someone were to explain it to me I probably wouldn't understand anyway.

Mulligan said...

I made the switch a couple months ago. I went into it with a ton of reservations and have not regretted it once. I still use IE for microsoft driven things like windows update but otherwise FF covers everything I need and the transition was virtually painless. I was afraid with 2 programs attempting to do the same thing I'd end up with conflicts left and right but that seems to not be the case with these.

the only issue I have is that FF bookmarks don't sync with my iphone. I have to export from FF, import into IE and then sync which is not hard but takes an extra 5 min every week.

good luck

James A. Zachary Jr. said...

Thanks for your insight, Mulligan. I probably don't have any choice but to go to FF, I just need to make it a priority and get it done.

I feel kinda foolish ... some friends that are quite good with computers and software warned me early and often that staying with IE was not going to be satisfactory.

Nikki said...

galco holster

http://www.galco-holster.com

that's really a fantastic post ! ! added to my favourite blogs list..