Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I picked up a Trojan, or not.

The internet sure is not as much fun as it used to be. This afternoon, while visiting some of the blogs that I usually follow, IE started acting weird, sometimes slow, sometimes locking up, sometimes giving me “not found” errors.

Then my McAfee alarm went off saying that it had caught a Trojan on my computer; said it removed or disabled it.

According to the log, the Trojan’s name is JS/Exploit-Packed.c.gen, which meant nothing at all to me. I deleted the sites from my sidebar that I had recently clicked fearing that they may have been the cause. This evening I had some time to research just what the Trojan was, and MacAfee had this to say:

“McAfee Avert Labs has found a false detection with JS/Exploit-Packed.c.gen and will be releasing the 5729 DAT Files to correct this issue. The false detection is being seen on websites containing certain types of javascript obfuscation.”

Oh goody. My protection alarm may have read a false positive. My files are auto-updated, but I don’t know if McAfee’s note on this Trojan is current or not. If the alarm was true, I am almost certain it was from visiting (or trying to visit) a blog site. If the alarm was false, I deleted some sites from my sidebar for no reason. Ah hell, maybe I am spending too much time on the blogosphere anyway…

I gotta say that the quirkiness of my old computer, the quirkiness of Blogger, and the quirkiness of MS IE8 is really wearing thin. Yeah, I know that Apples are less prone to this nonsense, but I would be doubly pissed off to have this happen after spending the money and time on a brand new system.


3 comments:

Crustyrusty said...

You could try Linux, if you haven't taken the plunge yet. I prefer PCLinuxOS, and you can try it on the CD and not change anything on your puter until you decide to install it. You might like it, and you won't have all the virus and spyware crap going on. It won't help with Blogger problems, though... :(

James A. Zachary Jr. said...

Thanks, Crustyrusty, I appreciate it. Right when I think things are all fixed something goes radical. I may do the CD trial and see if you suggestion works with this old box and my old brain.

Crustyrusty said...

The nice thing about this particular version is that it works well with different hardware, and you may find that your old box runs a little quicker.