Monday, January 11, 2010

Anti-virus software is a leap of faith

.

I tried some free anti-virus, anti-spyware software several years ago; my computer became loaded with viruses and spyware. I dumped that computer, bought a new one, and went back to paying annual fees for a major commercial brand anti-virus package. Recently that virus software began shutting itself off for no apparent reason. A web search showed that I was not the only person to experience this and the customer support offered that their engineers were working on it; the most likely cause was a conflict with a third-party screen-saver (which I don’t have on my computer). After checking and rechecking my computer, I decided to switch to a new brand, Microsoft’s free anti-virus package. I offloaded the old and switched to the new. Wish me luck.

.

5 comments:

Arthur B. Burnett said...

Greetings from Texas,
I've been thinking about switching to a Mac. I don't believe they have no viruses, but probably not nearly as many. Let us know how your new tac works out, and best of luck.

James A. Zachary Jr. said...

Thanks Art. I too have been thinking about getting a Mac. One of my brother has a low-end Mac and it works and looks nice. I keep trying to stretch this old relic out...

Since going with the Microsoft anti-virus stuff on this old box, it sure runs much faster than it did (which probably means the anti-virus software isn't looking at everything the old software did).

So far, so good ;)

Crustyrusty said...

Free antivirus:

Dump Windows and install Linux.

Eh, get a Mac if you have $$ to burn.

Windows is a joke.

elmo iscariot said...

Crippling spyware was actually the main reason I switched to Ubuntu.

The process was _mostly_ painless, but it's definitely not as easy as it is with the big commercial operating systems.

Glenn B said...

I use Norton 360. It works well as far as I can tell.