Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Bought a new GPS

.

I gave my three (or four) year-old Tom-Tom GPS to my daughter. She was borrowing it so often that I figured it was time for me to get a new one. I settled on the Garmin nuvi 1450; it is not the top-of-the-line but it has most of what I need to see the USA in my Chevrolet. One feature that I like is the wider screen.

This evening I spent a few hours checking the nuvi out and putting in all of our regular (and contingency) waypoints and destinations. In case you are wondering, I still carry road maps.

I went to the Garmin site to register and download upgrades. Gaak! At DSL speed, it should be done downloading this time tomorrow. I hope the maps extract and install on the nuvi faster than they download.

.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Garmin is my choice in GPS brands. There are things I like about Magellan, but generally they seem to be to wordy.

When I was deployed to Hurricane Gustav, I discovered that TomTom had donated GPS units for all the Red Cross response vehicles. I had my Garmin, so we were comparing the two. At one point my teammate found the perfect use for the TomTom . . . it made a perfect light to read the map. Apparently the map was sufficiently out of date that it was convinced that we were driving through a cornfield.

As for the comment on carrying maps . . . by all means, do so. The technology is great but it is far from infallible. For example, on a flood deployment it directed us right to a flooded road that resulted in a rather long detour. There have been several recent articles about people who followed their GPS onto roads that got them stuck in snowdrifts (but no doubt it was the shortest route). You can't take your brain out of gear when you turn on the GPS.