Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Buying American

.

When I shop, I am a label checker. I’m not some super-patriot, but I do favor goods made in the USA when the price and quality are competitive. I’ll pay more for American made goods, but there are limits, I am not a fool when it comes to my money. However, I absolutely refuse to buy goods from certain countries no matter how good the quality and how low the price. If Made in the USA is not available, I will usually favor goods made in Mexico. I never could understand why our stores don’t have more goods from our big brother to the north, Canada (other than their great whiskey).

For a couple of months now, a Sam’s Club in my area has been selling socks made in the USA. Quality and price are good; I hoarded 30-pair since I rarely find socks made domestically; I don’t expect this supply to last at Sam’s forever.

I needed another pair of relaxed-fit blue jeans in my fatboy size. The Sam’s Club had no jeans made in the USA so I had to settle for what was available. I have refused to buy Levi Strauss brand since they moved their manufacturing out of the USA to increase profit margins. The Sam’s Club did have made-in-Columbia Levi’s and made-in-Mexico generic brand jeans; I took home a pair of the generic brand for about $7 less than the Levi’s cost. Bite me, Levi Strauss. I’ll keep looking for jeans made in the USA at the right price; I may have to buy them online here. 

.

3 comments:

Timmeehh said...

Good, Levi's is anti-gun.

James A. Zachary Jr. said...

Thanks Tim. Now I have two good reasons to boycott Levi's...

Arthur B. Burnett said...

Greetings from Texas,
These look good. I will have to remember them. I hadn't known about Levi being anti gun either. Shouldn't surprise me, I guess.