Wednesday, August 4, 2010

My third year of retirement is complete

.

With the economy the way it is, with the hardships so many people face, I am a little reluctant to post this blog entry.  August 3, 2007 was my last day of gainful employment and there are no regrets; early retirement has been great although life still is often surprisingly hectic. There is always plenty of work to fill each day, along with more than adequate periods of recreation and rest. Financially I have been very fortunate, my budget has worked well and I have more money now than I did three years ago, in spite of the great-recession.  There is always a chance that something will go wrong; click here for a sobering article on the crisis of middle-class America.

.

If you find the time, please click here for my tongue-in-cheek blog entry celebrating the end of my first year of retirement.

Once again, thanks for stopping by.

Zack

.

8 comments:

Borepatch said...

That would be nice, but I have two to get through college. :-p

Dan said...

Great news and happy for ya! Hope you have (at the very least a linear) trend there. ;)

Anonymous said...

LMAO....

I retired in April despite the dire predictions of younger friends who could not believe anyone could possibly live on my projected retirement income. I've never had so much fun doing nothing all day. To paraphrase the ardent fishermen, "The worst day I've had of retirement is still better than the best day I had when I was working."

Carrie said...

My husband wants to know how you were able to retire early. BTW I'm your first cousin.

Arthur B. Burnett said...

Greetings from Texas,
Helene retired a couple of years ago and never wanted to see another school. After some time away she accepted a teaching friend's request to help get kids ready for a writing exam. That was always her strengh. The school ask if she would sub from time to time.
She actually enjoyed going back. As a sub she didn't have to keep a gradebook or deal with parents. At the end of the day she can go home and leave school at school. She only goes in when she wants to. That makes all the difference.

James A. Zachary Jr. said...

Hi Carrie! Goodness, this is a great surprise. I sure hope you email me your email address so we can keep in touch (my address is listed under my profile over on the left side of the page; click the "View my complete profile" line). How is Aunt Maggie? I tried calling Uncle Tom on his birthday and could not get through. We last talked with Aunt Shirley on July 3rd.

We send you and Aunt Maggie all our love! Thanks for stopping in. Everyone will be tickled when I tell them that I heard from you.

You made my day!

James A. Zachary Jr. said...

Hey there, Art! Great to have you visit and to see you back blogging again.

James A. Zachary Jr. said...

Borepatch, hang in there.

Dan and Anonymous; thanks guys.