Thursday, September 2, 2010

The only hospital I ever stayed in overnight was the one where I was born, Augustana Hospital, Chicago, IL.

.

That is a cool old postcard. I found it over at Chuckman’s Collection. Nothing lasts forever; that hospital is long gone, demolished for urban renewal. Townhomes now occupy the site.

My aging carcass cannot keep up its run of good luck forever. Sooner or later, some hospital will strap me down for an extended stay and subject me to both the miracles and the barbarities of modern medicine. There were a couple of emergency room visits during the past few years when they wanted to keep me overnight for observation; against doctor’s advice, I declined. I am as hardheaded as Mom and Dad were when it comes to doctors. Maybe that is not a good thing; my folks might still be around if they had followed the doctors’ orders. Then again, maybe nothing would have changed.

Many people in my world have passed recently; among them were family, friends, and former coworkers. Life is precious. Nobody gets off this big spinning rock alive; all we can do is live and love while we can.

4 comments:

Arthur B. Burnett said...

Greetings from Texas,
I am envious. I have had several hospital visits over the years. Luckly they all ended well.

James A. Zachary Jr. said...

Hey there Art! Good to see you out and about.

Al from Chgo said...

Two stays in the old Augustana, May 43 born, Feb 45 whopping cough. In the old building many times before they tore it down, CPD.

James A. Zachary Jr. said...

It's a shame that it is gone, but I guess time marches on.

Al, thanks for stopping in.