Thursday, January 19, 2012

The 1/18/2012 SOPA-PIPA BLACKOUT PROTEST is now over


This obscure little eclectic blog site has been locked down for the 24-hours between midnights.  Perhaps it was silly of me to think my participation would have an impact, but it takes many to generate the roar of a hundred thousand hands clapping.  While the monster-sized sites carried the weight of this protest, we fleas at least added to the itch.

So, was it all for naught?  CLICK HERE to read the New York Times view on the protest. 


5 comments:

Arthur B. Burnett said...

Greetings from Texas,
I'm glad to hear yesterday was part of the protest. I was afraid you were mad at me before I realized what day it was.

James A. Zachary Jr. said...

Heck, I could never be mad at you. I look forward to your visitis.

Yeah, there has to be a better way to take a blog "dark" than just temporaily making it private.

Thanks for stopping by!

Steve said...

At this point, you've managed to piss off my RSS feed of your blog. It still insists that it cannot access it. I suspect that time will cure it, and at worst I'll have to delete and re-add it. So it was worth the effort on your part.

I am very impressed with how successful the blackout protest was.

James A. Zachary Jr. said...

Gleep! I never once thought about possible RSS problems.

HEY GOOGLE! How about adding a "take this blog DARK" switch, with an option for a banner that blog authors can use to explain why the blog went dark.

Steve said...

I really hope that we're done for a while "taking things dark". If it's done too often, it will lose all its impact.

I did end up deleting and re-adding my RSS feed for your blog. It was not a big deal.

Do you remember back in the BBS days when we used to get the waves of frantic posts that the government was going to start taxing dialup, or monitoring BBS content, or whatever? It was always total bull, but people got all worked up. Now I see SOPA/PIPA and it brings back those memories. Bad ideas never die.