------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Preacherman said, "My advice to you is to get yourself a gun and learn how to shoot." The Gunslinger said, "My advice to you is to get yourself a Bible and learn how to pray."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THIS BLOG CONTAINS (ALBEIT OFTEN VERY CHILDISH) ADULT-CONTENT.

BLOG TRIGGER WARNING: "OMG! OMG! Guns have triggers!" Well, so do NORK NUKES. Better waddle on over to your safe place and assume the kissin' position.

REQUISITE BLOG DISCLAIMER: Entries at this blog are akin to good old-fashioned campfire chats; I offer no opinion on what you should or should not purchase, or what you should be using or doing. What does or does not work for me could be many country-miles away from your tastes and your needs. Any products, places, and / or whatnots that I review for this blog are purchased at retail price by me. I do not accept payment, gifts, discounts, freebies, products on loan, demon alcohol, drugs, probation, parole, Presidential Pardons, or any flavor of sexual favor for doing any review.

EU TRACKING COOKIE NOTICE: Google bakes those scrumptious cookies and everything Google cooks usually means something related is up for sale. We appreciate our many visitors from inside and outside of the USA and feel obligated to mention that YOUR RESPECTIVE GOVERNMENTS MAY KNOW THAT YOU WERE HERE and they may not approve of you perusing the blog entries regarding GUNS ... KNIVES ... SELF-DEFENSE ... CORRUPT POLITICIANS ... SELF-SERVING ROGUE GOVERNMENT AGENCIES ... GOVERNMENT SPYING ON CITIZENS ... Human Rights ... Freedom of Speech ... Life ... Liberty ... Pursuit of Happiness ... all that kind of stuff.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Entry for May 15, 2008

The following is just random, mundane rambling.

For exercise today, I was walking on the government pier between the north and south harbors in Waukegan when I ran across Ed Wong, a former coworker who retired in 1997. He says life is good and that he has never had a second thought about retiring. During the summer, he spends a great deal of time fishing the harbor area as he was doing today. I complimented him by saying that he looked like he had not aged, and that he looked fit and trim. He did not return the compliment, so I began hoping that he would catch a treble-hook in the groin. Hard to believe that it was 11 years ago when he retired. Time does fly. Here’s wishing continued good health and good fishing to you Ed!

I guess I should start thinking about buying a new digital TV, or consider ordering a converter. Not high priorities, I rarely watch TV and I am too cheap to pay for cable. I believe February is when analog TV broadcasting stops. Nah, this will go on the procrastination list.

I went shopping for a new bicycle and the prices floored me. Being an old softie, I try to avoid big-box stores and take my business to small local businesses when possible. It is hard for me to be enthusiastic about handing over no less than $300 for a Chinese-made bike. The local shops swear that they stand by their customers and make repairs when needed, something the “Mart” stores cannot do. From what I have seen so far, the small shops come and go so often there is no guarantee they will be here when needed. Should my $100 “Mart” Chinese-made bike break, I can junk it, buy another, and still be money ahead.

My local vacuum cleaner sales and repair store is either going out of business or has lost the concept of serving loyal customers. I bought my last two vacuums from this place rather than getting them for less money at a “Mart” store, even being loyal enough to buy replacement vacuum bags from them at twice the cost as elsewhere. The last vacuum I bought is less that a year old, and an integrated hose collapsed and needed replacement. The storeowner growled that it could not be fixed or replaced, and then he disappeared into the back room in order to end the conversation. His showroom was empty of both customers and new vacuum cleaners, and the racks did not have any replacement parts or bags, so it is a safe assumption that he is closing shop. If he does stay in business, he just lost another loyal customer to the “Mart” stores.

At the house, all of the exterior window glass is now clean, and I managed to finish the job without falling off the ladder. A long pole with a sponge and squeegee proved well worth the purchase price. I still need to finish the inside, but no windows are left that will require me to dance from a ladder.

Sometimes an unexciting life is a good life.


James A. Zachary Jr.


No comments: