DISCLAIMER: Entries at this blog are akin to good old-fashioned campfire chats; I have no opinion on what you should / should not purchase or what you should be using / doing. What does or does not work for me could be many country miles away from your tastes and needs. Any products, places, and / or thingies that I review for this blog are purchased at retail price by me. I do not accept payment, gifts, discounts, "freebies," products on loan, demon alcohol, drugs, probation, parole, Presidential Pardons, or sexual favors (of any flavor) for doing any review.
The Preacher said, "My advice to you is to get yourself a gun and learn how to use it."


Saturday, September 5, 2009

One year of abstinence

In 1997, after 35-years of smoking, I quit for health reasons and toughed it out until Memorial Day in 2006 when I again took solace in tobacco. With the help of nicotine gum, I am again in a period of abstinence from smoking that so far has lasted one year.

It is common for people with life-long depression to be life-long smokers. Without a doubt, I will someday again enjoy the comfort, and suffer the consequence of bad health, from smoking cigars. I love tobacco smoke, I was hooked from the first puff, and the addiction will stay with me until I die. In the meantime, I am choosing to give it a rest.

7 comments:

Crustyrusty said...

I quit on May 29, 2007. I haven't had any cravings, but I managed to gain 35 pounds over what I was. The food intake is just now starting to ease up.

Good luck to you, brother.

James A. Zachary Jr. said...

Congrats on quitting! I know well the subsequent weight gain... I be working on that too ;)

My guess is that nothing makes you want to light-up more than hearing anti-smokers proposing more freaking anti-smoking laws...

Crustyrusty said...

Actually, I can't stand to be around it now... even in front of Wally World, if someone lets loose a cloud of smoke, I can't flippin' breathe. I guess that's God's way of guaranteeing I never do it again.

As far as laws go, I feel that people shouldn't be exposed to 2nd hand smoke involuntarily. Other than that, if someone wants to run an establishment and let folks smoke, that's their business. I don't have to go in there.

Steve said...

Congrats!

James A. Zachary Jr. said...

Thanks Steve.

Borepatch said...

Congrats. Never was a smoker, but giving up drinking was pretty interesting. Good luck.

James A. Zachary Jr. said...

Thanks Ted. Drinking bourbon was something I once loved as much as smoking cigars...