The Preacher said, "My advice to you is to get yourself a gun and learn how to use it."


DISCLAIMER: Entries at this blog are akin to good old-fashioned campfire chats; I offer no opinion on what you should or should not purchase or what you should be using or doing. What does or does not work for me could be many country miles away from your tastes and needs. Any products, places, and / or doodads that I review for this blog are purchased at retail price by me. I do not accept payment, gifts, discounts, "freebies," products on loan, demon alcohol, drugs, probation, parole, Presidential Pardons, or sexual favors of any flavor for doing any review.
COOKIES IN USE: NOTICE TO VISITORS FROM ABROAD: We appreciate our many vistors from outside the USA. I feel obligated to mention that your government may not approve of you stopping by here to peruse the blog entries regarding GUNS. This here Internet thing is not about freedom for any of us; the Internet is about amassing unimaginable wealth for corporate giants. Insofar as governments, foreign or domestic, the Internet is all about surveillance and control. No matter where any of us choose to surf the web, there are always sharks in the water.


NOTICE: To all y'all,

The year 2017 has been and will continue to be extraordinarily CHALLENGING and BUSY for me. Blog entries will likely be even more infrequent than usual until all projects and issues are completed or resolved.

Thanks for stopping by. I really do appreciated it.

Best wishes,

Zack



Thursday, December 10, 2015

New Year Resolution 2016-A0001 is to go to the shooting range at least once a month


My goal for the new year is to go to the shooting range no less than once a month.  Yeah, I know that is not often enough to qualify me as a big-time gunslinger, but the hard fact is that I am only a recreational shooter.  My skill level is a bit better than what is needed to shoot a concealed-carry qualifying score with any handgun that I carry, but I am certainly not good enough to be taking home any trophies. Will I ever try IDPA?  Maybe someday, but I don't have any burning desire to jump in anytime soon; I assuredly don't need any supplemental drama in my life.


For a while during 2015 I went to the range once a week, which turned out to be too often; I suffered from burnout and lost my enthusiasm for shooting.  It is best that I set a light shooting schedule for this coming year and pace myself.


I've already purchased enough range time to go once a month during the new year; my 2016 calendar has the morning of the third Tuesday of each month tagged for being at the range.  I am all set provided that the Good Lord is willing and the creek doesn't rise. I did not renew my annual membership at the range;  I have no need for the club's high-end perks; besides, the $449 membership fee only includes 10-hours of shooting.  It is far cheaper for me to buy range time via the punch-cards or simply pay each time that I go.  It is a nice range but it would be a stretch to say that it is a bargain.




6 comments:

Wilson said...

I hope you do it. It's been my resolution for several years now but something always seems to come up. I end up averaging every 6-8 weeks.

James Zachary said...

Thanks, man. I hope you can find some extra time to enjoy those beautiful guns of yours in the coming year!

Take care.

Wilson said...

Thanks! Recently I also added a laser training aid that allows you to practice at home with your carry gun. Obviously it’s not a good a live fire practice but it does help some.

eatgrueldog said...

So much better than some damn diet

eatgrueldog said...

Wilson, if it is a revolver you can load brass with just the primer and roll bullets out of weather stripping. They have enough umpfh to shoot right through both sides of a soda can. Yeah, I know....I'm a redneck

James Zachary said...

Diet? heh, yeah I don't like thinking about that let alone writing about it.