Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Smith & Wesson Model 36 Chief's Special


I always wanted a S&W Model 36, but very few people that have them are willing to give them up;  finding one in good condition at a fair price has been a long term challenge.  Smith & Wesson does offer the Model 36 as a "classic," but it comes with that insufferable frame lock.

This Model 36 (vintage maybe around 1988 or so) recently turned up at Schranks Smoke'n Gun in Waukegan, so I filled out the adoption papers and took the little Chief home after the requisite Illinois waiting period.


The pocket holster is a left hand Del Fatti PH3 horsehide natural finish.  This revolver will keep the original grips; for the most part I prefer the rubber boot style grips on my J Frame revolvers but I find pocket carry to be difficult with them.


The Federal .38 Special Nyclad 125 grain standard pressure load is not a wimpy puff puff cartridge;  when fired from my alloy frame revolvers the load sometimes can be a wee bit punishing to my arthritic hands.  When using that load in a steel frame snubby (as is the Model 36), recoil usually feels just fine and dandy.

Merry Christmas to me!



8 comments:

Old 1811 said...

I am a big fan of the Model 36. I have owned several.(I preferred the 3-inch models; try to find one of those now!)
I never liked the factory grips. I preferred the Pachmayr Compac grips or the S&W wooden J-frame "target" grips that could be used for the round-butt or the square-butt frames. I doubt if those are made anymore.
You got yourself a nice roscoe. Enjoy it.

James Zachary said...

Hey there Old 1811! It's great to have you stop in again. Thanks! Happy Holidays!

eatgrueldog said...

Hey, sweet little buy! Merry Christmas!

James Zachary said...

Thanks EGD! Great to have you stop by.

Old 1811 said...

One other thing: That hammer spur is guaranteed to snag on something during a draw from a pocket holster. If you don't want to have it removed (and I wouldn't), you should practice drawing with your thumb on the hammer spur till it clears your pocket. (Of course, all safety rules apply.)
Carry it in good health.

Joel said...

Oh, what lovely things they are. I bought one sometime in the early eighties, as I recall, and though I really preferred 1911s it was like having toy-size dog: it couldn't really do anything but I carried it everywhere. Since the factory grip really is useless, mine had a Tyler T-grip which helped some. In a life filled with gun-trade regrets, that little .38 is nearly at the top of the list.

JWMJR said...

Had a .38 Air Weight at one point but treaded up for a nice .357 with fixed sights. Still one of the most consistantly accurate pieces in my collection. For a carry piece I switch between a Bersa Thunder .380 and an old Browning model 1910. Low profile sights and hammerless. Slides in and out of the pocket without any chance of snagging. Just make sure the saftey is on once it's chambered. No way to decock it except to drop the mag and eject the round. But it can drop 7 rounds in less than 2 seconds.

James Zachary said...

Joel and JWMJR, thank you for stopping by and thanks for you comments!

Best,

Zack