11/13/2022 - BLOG COMMENTS are again allowed and are moderated to exclude only the bots, advertisements, racial / ethnic pejoratives, and embedded links. I'll attempt to honor Chicago's historical "Bughouse Square" concept of free-speech and open debate --- spanning the curve from the far-left to the far-right. /JZ
Blogging to you from the Northeastern Badlands of The County of Lake, in the state currently known as Fatmanistan, DEEP DEEP DEEP DEEP DEEP inside the heartland of the Banana Republic formerly known as the USA, WELCOME TO THE NEXT CHAPTER! WARNING! ALL FORMS OF SOCIAL MEDIA ARE ADDICTIVE; EXCESSIVE USE MAY LEAD TO MENTAL HEALTH DISORDERS, REDUCED JOB PRODUCTIVITY, INSOMNIA, SOCIAL ALIENATION, GENITAL ULCERS, BLINDNESS, POLITICAL EROTICISM, AND / OR DEVIANT FUNAMBULISM. NOTICE: NO GUNS OR AMMUNITION ARE FOR SALE VIA THIS BLOG. (No, I will not trade my Colt Python for some lubricious adventures with your trophy wife and a future first-round draft pick.) CAVEAT: This blog is not suitable for viewing while at work, while inside a public library, while inside any public or private school, or while inside any public or private restroom. Do not view this blog while driving a motor vehicle or while piloting an aircraft. Viewing this blog may be illegal inside the EU, NYC, Chicago, Seattle, and other parts of the Third World. THIS BLOG CONTAINS (albeit often very childish) ADULT-CONTENT. DISCLAIMER: This blog is a hobby, it is not a livelihood. Even though much of what I blog about relates to firearms collecting and recreational shooting, I am not an expert (by any measure) on any facet of guns, shooting, hunting, or personal defense. Entries at this blog are akin to good old-fashioned campfire chats or post hunt bourbon-fueled barroom-bluster; I offer no opinion on what you should or should not purchase, or what you should be using or doing. What does or does not work for me could be rugged-country-miles away from your tastes and your needs. All products, places, and miscellany that I review for this blog are purchased / rented / leased at retail price by me. I do not accept payment, gifts, discounts, freebies, products on loan, distilled spirits, recreational pharmaceuticals, plea-bargains, probation, parole, Papal Blessings, Presidential Pardons, or sexual favors for doing any review or blog post. TRACKING COOKIES: Google et al stick tracking cookies on everybody. If you are online, you are being spied on via one method or another, for one reason or another; 'nuff said. You may be able to minimize your online DNA residue by using Tor and Duck Duck Go. Vive la liberté! Vive all y'all! Ante omnia armari. To each of you, thanks for stopping by!

Monday, April 9, 2018

Glock 19 Gen4 range session at Caliber Gun Range in Waukegan, Illinois

Three-months into this new year and this is the first time that I have gone shooting.

It has been over five-months since I last went shooting.

Fifteen-months have come and gone since I last did a range session with this Generation-4 Glock 19. (Cough), ahem, well, yeah I guess it has been a while.  Life and laziness set my priorities.

I set modest goals and limits for this refresher session.
1) Be safe and have fun
3) Work on fundamentals, focus, and my trigger reset.
4) String the shots together as fast as accuracy and range etiquette allows.
5) Keep all shots inside the 9-ring or better.
6) Limit my old aching hands to firing 45-rounds (3-magazines) of +P+ carry ammo.





 Caliber Gun Range (formerly known as GTR Sporting Club) in Waukegan was today's choice.





My preferred 9mm carry ammo was used for all of today's session.





I put a new Magpul into the Glock 19 carry magazine rotation.  Time will tell.





All targets were reasonably equal to those used for Illinois concealed carry qualification.





The first target was set at my farthest distance for this session, 30-feet.  I tossed one round into the 8-ring which ended my session quest to score all shots as 9 or better.





The second target, set at 21-feet, saw me tighten things up but I pushed one round low.






 The third and final target was set at 15-feet, the closest distance for this session.







This target is from ~15-months ago.  Yellow tape was used to mark three target zones.
15-feet are the head shots
21-feet are the chest shots
30-feet are the center-of-mass shots

At 15-feet and 21-feet I am about equal now to what I was shooting then.
At 30-feet is where my rustiness shows the most.

Practice makes better, not perfect.




7 comments:

  1. Keep on writing, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News. Do you have any suggestions
    on how to get listed in Yahoo News? I've been trying
    for a while but I never seem to get there!
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I had no idea that I was listed on Yahoo News. My guess is the Yahoo Bots like guns ;)

    I appreciate both of you Anons for stopping in.

    Best,

    Zack

    ReplyDelete
  4. I realize the +P is for Police but what is the last "+" sign for?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The +P+ designation is not currently used by the SAAMI, but is used by some manufacturers to designate loads that exceed the +P SAAMI specification. One source lists the 9 × 19 mm +P+ loading as having a pressure of 42,000 psi, an 18% increase over the standard pressure of 35,000 psi, and the .38 Special +P+ as 22,000, a 29% increase over the standard pressure.

    (I copied and pasted the above from Wikipedia)

    Good question. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great day at the range. I haven't heard of any problems with the Magpul Glock mags, they have a good rep for a reason. Also, thanks for the free advertising.

    ReplyDelete

*AGGREGATOR* -NEWS-WEATHER-SPORTS-OPINION-SCIENCE-TECH-RELIGION-POLITICS-GUNS-HUMOR-ENTERTAINMENT-

This Blog's most viewed posts during the past week

This Blog's most viewed posts during the past month

This Blog's most viewed posts during the past year

This Blog's Most Popular Posts of All Time


Be they Republican, Democrat, third party, fourth party or beyond, make each candidate earn it. Vote NO MORE GUN LAWS!

'We the Politicians of the United States, in Order to avoid a more perfect Union, manipulate Justice, destroy domestic Tranquillity, provide for the common offense, promote general Warfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty for ourselves and our Progeny, do blaspheme and eviscerate this Constitution of the United States of America." ("Zack," circa 1966 -1970)
Please consider RECURRING UNIVERSAL BACKGROUND CHECKS of ALL FEDERAL, STATE, AND LOCAL POLITICIANS (including but not limited to school records, acquaintances, employment history, Social Media, financial, drug, and psychiatric screenings). Please consider TERM LIMITS; political power corrupts.