Photo above is my Great Great Grandfather, Civil War Veteran, Company C, First Kentucky Cavalry, U.S.

Mom and Dad had antecedents on both sides of that bloody conflict. Counties were split, towns were split, and families were split. It was never as simple as being the north versus the south.

The Preacherman says, "My advice to you is to get yourself a gun and learn how to shoot." The Gunman says, "My advice to you is to get yourself a Bible and learn how to pray."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRIGGER WARNING: Guns have triggers.

REQUISITE DISCLAIMER: Entries at this blog are akin to good old-fashioned campfire chats; I offer no opinion on what you should or should not purchase, or what you should be using or doing. What does or does not work for me could be many country-miles away from your tastes and your needs. Any products, places, and / or whatnots that I review for this blog are purchased at retail price by me. I do not accept payment, gifts, discounts, freebies, products on loan, demon alcohol, drugs, probation, parole, Presidential Pardons, or any flavor of sexual favor for doing any review.

EU TRACKING COOKIE NOTICE: Google bakes those scrumptious cookies and everything Google cooks usually means something related is up for sale. We appreciate our many visitors from inside and outside of the USA and feel obligated to mention that YOUR RESPECTIVE GOVERNMENTS MAY KNOW THAT YOU WERE HERE and they may not approve of you perusing the blog entries regarding GUNS ... KNIVES ... SELF-DEFENSE ... CORRUPT POLITICIANS ... SELF-SERVING ROGUE GOVERNMENT AGENCIES ... GOVERNMENT SPYING ON CITIZENS ... Human Rights ... Freedom of Speech ... Life ... Liberty ... Pursuit of Happiness ... all that kind of stuff.

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Going over to the left


Massad Ayoob has a post on learning to shoot with the weak hand, something I have been wrestling with for a while now. My right hand does not work so pretty good anymore; the misadventures of my youth have allied with the infirmities of aging.


4 comments:

Borepatch said...

Boy, that title made me look twice.

It was a much-needed LOL. Thanks.

Hammer said...

I spent my life shooting one handed both left and right. At this point I can shoot better one handed than with a weaver stance.

I love the alligator pic!

ke4sky said...

More important than just mirror image shooting is one-hand only handling of the gun when the strong hand is injured or out of action, not just shooting with the other hand to take advantage of available cover. We practiced this skill by handcuffing the strong hand to the duty belt and manipulating the revolver only with the weak hand. See

http://www.officer.com/web/online/On-the-Street/One-Handed-Shooting/21$38244

James A. Zachary Jr. said...

ke4sky, thanks for the insight and for that link. Shooting from both sides like Hammer did all his life is something I should have done all along. Starting so late in life, I am having trouble getting my left side to tune in. My right hand was crushed in a press about 40 years ago, and broken a couple of times since. Arthritis pain is tolerable, but the occasional weakness and loss of coordination makes shooting iffy. My left side needs to become my primary shooting side.