Photo above is my Great Great Grandfather, Civil War Veteran, Company C, First Kentucky Cavalry, U.S.

Mom and Dad had antecedents on both sides of that bloody conflict. Counties were split, towns were split, and families were split. It was never as simple as being the north versus the south.

The Preacherman says, "My advice to you is to get yourself a gun and learn how to shoot." The Gunman says, "My advice to you is to get yourself a Bible and learn how to pray."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRIGGER WARNING: Guns have triggers.

REQUISITE DISCLAIMER: Entries at this blog are akin to good old-fashioned campfire chats; I offer no opinion on what you should or should not purchase, or what you should be using or doing. What does or does not work for me could be many country-miles away from your tastes and your needs. Any products, places, and / or whatnots that I review for this blog are purchased at retail price by me. I do not accept payment, gifts, discounts, freebies, products on loan, demon alcohol, drugs, probation, parole, Presidential Pardons, or any flavor of sexual favor for doing any review.

EU TRACKING COOKIE NOTICE: Google bakes those scrumptious cookies and everything Google cooks usually means something related is up for sale. We appreciate our many visitors from inside and outside of the USA and feel obligated to mention that YOUR RESPECTIVE GOVERNMENTS MAY KNOW THAT YOU WERE HERE and they may not approve of you perusing the blog entries regarding GUNS ... KNIVES ... SELF-DEFENSE ... CORRUPT POLITICIANS ... SELF-SERVING ROGUE GOVERNMENT AGENCIES ... GOVERNMENT SPYING ON CITIZENS ... Human Rights ... Freedom of Speech ... Life ... Liberty ... Pursuit of Happiness ... all that kind of stuff.

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Hard Times Investing Update 12/26/2009

.

Well, it isn’t earth-shattering great news but I’ll take it; on Christmas Eve, by a mere 1/10th of 1%, my modest investment portfolio reached a new all-time-high. Dumb luck and divine intervention has recovered every penny of the losses I suffered during our recent market crash. Using the S&P-500 as a measure, the markets are still around 28% below their pre-crash highs, which means they need to jump roughly 39% from their current level of 1126 to achieve a full recovery. While I am sure that many retirees have fared better in the markets than I have, I know many others who have not been so fortunate. My hope is that blessings will soon descend upon us all.

I figure that I’m too old to be 100% in the markets and too young to be 100% out of the markets, so I guess I’ll just remain a half-assed investor for the near future. As a hedge against the downside, as the markets rose from their lows I took profits on two occasions and moved the proceeds to cash. Currently the portfolio sits with 53% cash and 47% equities.

OBLIGATORY DISCLAIMER: Nothing in this blog entry is advice on investing or finances.

.

No comments: