05/01/2024 - BLOG COMMENTS are allowed and are moderated to exclude only the bots, advertisements, racial / ethnic pejoratives, and embedded links. I'll attempt to honor Chicago's historical "Bughouse Square" concept of free-speech and open debate --- spanning the curve from the far-left to the far-right. /JZ
Blogging to you from the Northeastern Badlands of The County of Lake, in the state currently known as Fatmanistan, DEEP DEEP DEEP DEEP DEEP inside the heartland of the Banana Republic formerly known as the USA, WELCOME TO THE NEXT CHAPTER! WARNING! ALL FORMS OF SOCIAL MEDIA ARE ADDICTIVE; EXCESSIVE USE MAY LEAD TO MENTAL HEALTH DISORDERS, REDUCED JOB PRODUCTIVITY, INSOMNIA, SOCIAL ALIENATION, GENITAL ULCERS, BLINDNESS, POLITICAL EROTICISM, AND / OR DEVIANT FUNAMBULISM. NOTICE: NO GUNS OR AMMUNITION ARE FOR SALE VIA THIS BLOG. (No, I will not trade my Colt Python for some lubricious adventures with your trophy wife and a future first-round draft pick.) CAVEAT: This blog is not suitable for viewing while at work, while inside a public library, while inside any public or private school, or while inside any public or private restroom. Do not view this blog while driving a motor vehicle or while piloting an aircraft. Viewing this blog may be illegal inside the EU, NYC, Chicago, Seattle, and other parts of the Third World. THIS BLOG CONTAINS (albeit often very childish) ADULT-CONTENT. DISCLAIMER: This blog is a hobby, it is not a livelihood. Even though much of what I blog about relates to firearms collecting and recreational shooting, I am not an expert (by any measure) on any facet of guns, shooting, hunting, or personal defense. Entries at this blog are akin to good old-fashioned campfire chats or post hunt bourbon-fueled barroom-bluster; I offer no opinion on what you should or should not purchase, or what you should be using or doing. What does or does not work for me could be rugged-country-miles away from your tastes and your needs. All products, places, and miscellany that I review for this blog are purchased / rented / leased at retail price by me. I do not accept payment, gifts, discounts, freebies, products on loan, distilled spirits, recreational pharmaceuticals, plea-bargains, probation, parole, Papal Blessings, Presidential Pardons, or sexual favors for doing any review or blog post. TRACKING COOKIES: Google et al stick tracking cookies on everybody. If you are online, you are being spied on via one method or another, for one reason or another; 'nuff said. You may be able to minimize your online DNA residue by using Tor and Duck Duck Go. Vive la liberté! Vive all y'all! Ante omnia armari. To each of you, thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Remington 522 Viper

.
10 round .22 LR
Manufactured from 1993 - 1998

I may never forgive Remington for dropping the classic Nylon 66 from their product line. Their 522 Viper is unworthy of consideration as any sort of successor to the beloved Nylon 66. If you care to Google “Remington 522 Viper,” you will pull up links leading to a mix of forum comments; while some comments are favorable many are not. It was several years ago when I bought this rifle, only because a friend needed some money. At best, I find it to be suitable as a knockabout plinker; I would never willingly put my trust in it for survival. Sometimes it is a fun shooter, sometimes it is “challenging.”

Most of the Vipers that I see for sale nowadays are on the gun store bargain racks offered, “As is.” Caveat emptor, if you wind up buying an unreliable or broken 522 Viper you may be sunk. Magazines for the Viper are rare and there are (usually) no guarantees on the quality of those that you may find on the market. I have four plastic mags for my Viper and only one of them is any good. Gunsmiths should advise you that repairs on the Viper may cost you more than the market price of the gun; don’t be surprised if a gunsmith flat refuses to work on this model. If you want to try to do your own repairs, some parts are available from Numrich.

If you happen to be stuck with an inoperative Viper, you may be able to find someone online who is looking for a parts-gun. Heck, if you have no other option, some municipal “gun buy back” program may even give you between $50 and $100 for it (but you may want to forget to mention that it doesn’t work; some “buy back” programs only pay for functional guns).
.

15 comments:

  1. If your looking to sell the magazines, I'm looking to buy them if they are still available

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the offer but I have nothing that is currently for sale.

    Best,

    Zack

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was the first rifle I purchased. Mine has been incredibly accurate. The problem comes with the magazine. It's plastic and there is a piece that will easily sheer off making the magazine virtually useless. Mine sheered off while hunting in 15 deg. weather, I had to hold mine at a certain awkward angle for it to feed at all. I did find a steel magazine for about $40 and have been very pleased with this rifle since then. By the sounds of it, it was a manufacturing issue because some of the rifles seem to work fantastic and others fail misserably. I am willing to sell it though if anyone is interested. phunky89@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know were I can get scope mounts for this gun. It is a strange size and conventional mounts will not work?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one steel 10rd magazine for this gun will sell it cheap!

    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jody jason.jjj16@gmail.comNovember 24, 2016 at 4:05 PM

      I want the magazines

      Delete
  6. Send me your email address. I will buy it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dennis,did you ever sell your 10 rd steal magazine for the 522 viper, if not, then i definately would like to buy it,
    thanks,
    cea0496@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im looking to purchase 1 or 2 working metal 10 round clips for my viper if anybody knows of any please contact me 42chico@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, so several have mentioned steel mags. If anyone has one they care to let go of put a price tag on it and let me know. I never knew there were steel clips available. I rather enjoy my viper and have taught both my little people how to shoot with it. I have a Simons scope mounted on it and have four plastic clips and a fifth that sheered a tab off. I will check back for a reply. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would never recomend this gun to anyone. Clips cost more than guns worth. Buy a ruger or marlin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Late to the party, but what the heck... ;)

    I find mine to be reliable, and dead-on, even with iron sights. I must've won the 522 lottery. :D I've taught two children to shoot with it, and though they've graduated to bigger and better weapons, the 'ol Viper still gets a workout on range days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bought the viper back in '93, first rifle I ever bought, paid about a hundred bucks for it. If functioned well and was accurate, and I loved it. Enlisted in the Army and sold all my stuff to move to Georgia. The local gunshop guy gave me $120 for my almost new 522, bonus! 20 years later we got the Internet and I looked to see if it was still being made, nope. I found one for 50 bucks and bought it. It has worked flawlessly to teach both my kiddos and wife how to shoot. I sorta snipered it out a little with an adjustable bipod and a big Ole Deerfield 44 scope to help with the eye relief since my wife wears glasses. She routinely hit golf balls at 100+ yards with it. My 50th anniversary 10/22 with the custom heavy bull barrel is slightly more accurate after the hundredth round, but it also cost 10 times as much. The factory plastic mags ARE the flaw on the 522. Graphite fixes the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My dad bought the viper sometime in the 90's. Together, the two of us had to shoot tens of thousands of rounds through this rifle.

    Today, it still shoots reliable and accurate. I can now go out back with my son almost 35 years later and shoot another ten thousand rounds and the thing just won't quit.

    I have no idea why I had so much success with our viper, when so many others have had failures.

    Is either half these people don't know how to use it properly or we bought one of the few that were any good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 2019. Still love mine. Kept it clean. Still shoots great. Never had as NY problems with it. Any ammo that did not shoot it was the ammo. Great gun.

    ReplyDelete

*AGGREGATOR* -NEWS-WEATHER-SPORTS-OPINION-SCIENCE-TECH-RELIGION-POLITICS-GUNS-HUMOR-ENTERTAINMENT-

This Blog's most viewed posts during the past week

This Blog's most viewed posts during the past month

This Blog's most viewed posts during the past year

This Blog's Most Popular Posts of All Time


'We the Politicians of the United States, in Order to avoid a more perfect Union, manipulate Justice, destroy domestic Tranquillity, provide for the common offense, promote general Warfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty for ourselves and our Progeny, do blaspheme and eviscerate this Constitution of the United States of America." ("Zack," circa 1966 -1970)
Please consider RECURRING UNIVERSAL BACKGROUND CHECKS of ALL FEDERAL, STATE, AND LOCAL POLITICIANS (including but not limited to school records, acquaintances, employment history, Social Media, financial, drug, and psychiatric screenings). Please consider TERM LIMITS; political power corrupts.