DISCLAIMER: Entries at this blog are akin to good old-fashioned campfire chats; I have no opinion on what you should / should not purchase or what you should be using / doing. What does or does not work for me could be many country miles away from your tastes and needs. Any products, places, and / or thingies that I review for this blog are purchased at retail price by me. I do not accept payment, gifts, discounts, "freebies," products on loan, demon alcohol, drugs, probation, parole, Presidential Pardons, or sexual favors (of any flavor) for doing any review.
The Preacher said, "My advice to you is to get yourself a gun and learn how to use it."


Wednesday, February 26, 2014

My 40-Year-Old Sunglasses


(The case for the sunglasses reads as follows)

U.S.
SUN GLASSES MIL-S-475D
ROCHESTER OPTICAL MFG. CO. INC.
1974
DSA 120-74-C-0608

Inexpensive sunglasses are as available nowadays as they are easy to break.  During the past few years, the quality of them has gotten even worse and “durable” is not a word I would use to describe them.  Just when I was about to order out some expensive sunglasses, I remembered that I had a box full of military surplus, late Vietnam era sunglasses somewhere in my larder, purchased in bulk from Cheaper Than Dirt years ago for around $1 each IIRC.  I mangled the first one I tried on with my crude adjustment attempts because it was so askew it would not come close to fitting my Mr. Potatohead face; it was scrapped.  The second one I succeeded in getting comfortable enough to live with, but it had a noticeable distortion in the lens right in the center of the field of view; still, it was “good enough” and lasted over a year before one of the temples broke off.  The one in the photo is my third one out of the box and I hope it lasts as long as the previous one did.  The box still holds enough of the military surplus sunglasses to last me a few more years if all goes well.  My eyes have had a lifelong painful sensitivity to sunlight, even on overcast days.  Rare is the moment that I am outside sans sunglasses.


No comments: