Friday, September 19, 2014

A prepper tip: Too long on my shelf gave these noodles a strange plastic like taste.


This brand is one of my favorite survival staples, as well as being one of my favorite quickie-meals.  It is affordable, easy to store, and easy to prepare.   


I am a fair hand at rotating my food stock but every now and then I miss the “use by” target date by a wide margin.  These 10-cups were the remains of that brand in my larder.  I believe that two years over the “best if consumed by” date is past what my taste buds can accept.  Don’t get me wrong, if we were in an emergency with widespread food scarcity, I would find a way to make these remaining 10-cups of soup palatable.   We all hate to waste food, but I chose to give these the toss. 



3 comments:

Pumice said...

I know one of the hard things for me to do is throw out food. I keep thinking of the hungry people of the world but that reminds me of one of Bill Cosby's lines, "I kept eating and the people in China kept getting hungry."

I would suggest you donate the food to the needy but they have their EBT cards and tend to eat better than we do.

Grace and peace.

Crustyrusty said...

LOL my blood pressure shot up 20 points just looking at those...

James A. Zachary Jr. said...

Currently we only stock about 25% of the emergency food as we used to have on the racks.

A couple of years back a neighboring family slammed into a brickwall of nasty-ass hard times. From our larder we donated a couple of cases of that brand of noodle soup, a couple of large jars of extra crunchy peanut butter, several cans of tuna, several cans of sardines, 4 small canned hams, a case of canned pinto beans, a couple of gallons of laundry soap, etc. etc. etc.

It is hard for me to stomach MRE type of food so I rarely stock any of it. However, if things get desperate, I'll eat anything. I believe there is 12-years of shelf life left on a couple of namebrand 5-gallon buckets of something or another. Stuff will likely last longer than I will.