The Preacherman says, "My advice to you is to get yourself a gun and learn how to shoot." The Gunman says, "My advice to you is to get yourself a Bible and learn how to pray."

DISCLAIMER: Entries at this blog are akin to good old-fashioned campfire chats; I offer no opinion on what you should or should not purchase, or what you should be using or doing. What does or does not work for me could be many country miles away from your tastes and needs. Any products, places, and / or doodads that I review for this blog are purchased at retail price by me. I do not accept payment, gifts, discounts, "freebies," products on loan, demon alcohol, drugs, probation, parole, Presidential Pardons, or sexual favors of any flavor for doing any review. COOKIES IN USE: We appreciate our many visitors from inside and outside the USA and feel obligated to mention that your respective governments may not approve of you stopping by here to peruse the blog entries regarding GUNS.

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Another Prepper Experiment: Coffee made from five-year-old coffee grounds.




Yep, this unopened can was two years on the larder shelf before hitting the “best before date” and then it sat for another three years after that.  How is the smell and taste of the coffee brewed from these grounds?

Opened on September 18, 2014, the initial aroma of the grounds seemed to match that of a fresh can.  IMHO, the early taste and aroma of the brewed coffee was surprisingly acceptable.  In the ten days since opening, the brewed coffee has no aroma to speak of and there now is a noticeable stale taste.  But hey, during my lifetime I’ve had coffee that was much worse; if we were five years into an apocalypse, I’ll bet I could muster a few paying customers. 

We’ll finish using up the contents of this can, but, short of TEOTWAWKI, I see no compelling reason for us to ever repeat this experience.

EDIT: I have been experimenting with nuking the grounds in the microwave (in a dish, not in a paper filter) for short lengths of time before brewing; it seems to blunt most of the stale flavor.



Below are some raw links on keeping coffee.







1 comment:

Glenn B said...

I recently opened some cans of spam that had best by dates in 2012. The spam was as excellent as if I had bought it today. (Yes there was a pun in there dependent on your like or dislike for Spam.) Same thing for canned green beans and canned corn kernels. All were good to eat and tasted as they would have had I bought them new yesterday. Tic Tacs that I bought about 4 or 5 years ago also taste the same as they would have if I had ought them recently. Honey that is a couple to few years past the best-buy dates is also sweet as ever although some of that has crystalized just a little bit.