05/01/2024 - BLOG COMMENTS are allowed and are moderated to exclude only the bots, advertisements, racial / ethnic pejoratives, and embedded links. I'll attempt to honor Chicago's historical "Bughouse Square" concept of free-speech and open debate --- spanning the curve from the far-left to the far-right. /JZ
Blogging to you from the Northeastern Badlands of The County of Lake, in the state currently known as Fatmanistan, DEEP DEEP DEEP DEEP DEEP inside the heartland of the Banana Republic formerly known as the USA, WELCOME TO THE NEXT CHAPTER! WARNING! ALL FORMS OF SOCIAL MEDIA ARE ADDICTIVE; EXCESSIVE USE MAY LEAD TO MENTAL HEALTH DISORDERS, REDUCED JOB PRODUCTIVITY, INSOMNIA, SOCIAL ALIENATION, GENITAL ULCERS, BLINDNESS, POLITICAL EROTICISM, AND / OR DEVIANT FUNAMBULISM. NOTICE: NO GUNS OR AMMUNITION ARE FOR SALE VIA THIS BLOG. (No, I will not trade my Colt Python for some lubricious adventures with your trophy wife and a future first-round draft pick.) CAVEAT: This blog is not suitable for viewing while at work, while inside a public library, while inside any public or private school, or while inside any public or private restroom. Do not view this blog while driving a motor vehicle or while piloting an aircraft. Viewing this blog may be illegal inside the EU, NYC, Chicago, Seattle, and other parts of the Third World. THIS BLOG CONTAINS (albeit often very childish) ADULT-CONTENT. DISCLAIMER: This blog is a hobby, it is not a livelihood. Even though much of what I blog about relates to firearms collecting and recreational shooting, I am not an expert (by any measure) on any facet of guns, shooting, hunting, or personal defense. Entries at this blog are akin to good old-fashioned campfire chats or post hunt bourbon-fueled barroom-bluster; I offer no opinion on what you should or should not purchase, or what you should be using or doing. What does or does not work for me could be rugged-country-miles away from your tastes and your needs. All products, places, and miscellany that I review for this blog are purchased / rented / leased at retail price by me. I do not accept payment, gifts, discounts, freebies, products on loan, distilled spirits, recreational pharmaceuticals, plea-bargains, probation, parole, Papal Blessings, Presidential Pardons, or sexual favors for doing any review or blog post. TRACKING COOKIES: Google et al stick tracking cookies on everybody. If you are online, you are being spied on via one method or another, for one reason or another; 'nuff said. You may be able to minimize your online DNA residue by using Tor and Duck Duck Go. Vive la liberté! Vive all y'all! Ante omnia armari. To each of you, thanks for stopping by!

Monday, August 6, 2018

A road-trip with two out-of-date GPS boxes was not a good idea.

I guess that it's time I purchased a newer GPS system (and some newer old-fashioned paper roadmaps).  The old Garmin is on the right and an even older TomTom is on the left.  The last time I checked, neither was readily updatable from around the time when I migrated to Apple from MS-Windows.  Even though there is a new battery and alternator in my vintage 2005 car, that old Garmin draws a lot more juice than I am comfortable with.  The outdated maps in both boxes had me driving in short-circles in select parts of Western Kentucky and Tennessee; that was nerve wracking, especially at night.  On one misadventure the GPS was telling me to drive full-speed-straight-ahead for another 6-miles when a stop-sign suddenly popped up and triggered my caffeine-keen reflexes to keep us from sailing into a cornfield at 70-miles-per-hour.

Unless I travel straight west across the top of Illinois (or the bottom of Wisconsin) for around 30 to 50-miles before I start heading south on any trip I am forced to drive through Chicago one way or another.  To avoid the heaviest potential "shooting zones" of Chicago / Cook County, the Tri-State-Tollway is usually my best bet ... but construction zones, accidents, stalled / disabled vehicles, and good old fashioned heavy vehicle traffic in and out of O'Hare Airport can add about two-hours to the trip.  I'm darned if I do and damned if I don't ... but all is well that ends well.  I took the tollway route both there and back.  We left home around 1:30pm Friday and got to our destination at midnight.  We started back at 1:30pm on Saturday and arrived home at 10:30pm; about 90-minutes quicker than the trip down.  For a Chicago Saturday night, the tollway traffic was surprisingly civilized.




3 comments:

  1. I quit with stand along GPS units years ago. Google Maps updates at least weekly, it's free, and the new smartphone batteries can last all day.

    my$.02

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I'd seen this sooner. But for future reference...

    The distance between 294 and 355 (slightly west) near O'Hare isn't great, and 355 is generally in better shape than the Tri-state. Though I think it is more expensive... (And this is from a few years ago. Heading south, 355 ends at 80.

    If your plan is to go south on 65 through Indianapolis, then you have the choice of heading south on 57 just before I-80 dumps you on the southern end of the Tri-state tollway. This can be a good thing (if the weather is fine) you can hear cross country at Kankakee, and pick up 65 just north of Lafayette Indiana. (80-94 through Indiana is a short stretch, but I don't remember ever seeing a time it wasn't under construction.) Don't head cross country in Indiana if snow is predicted. There is a reason they sited that windfarm where they did.

    If you have access to traffic info, so much the better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm probably the sole person in Lake County hoping for the Rt 53 extension ... it would put a fast entrance to your alternative route ... very near to our front door. As it is now, sometimes it is still favorable for us to snake through the local traffic and jump on 53 down to your route. It would have saved us a couple of hours on this trip if I had been more tuned into the traffic reports ... WBBM has "traffic and weather on the eights" but what they said were short delays were actually somewhat monstrous.

    Maybe I gotta get real and get a high-tech phone with live traffic apps (and current maps). If the first self driving car in akin to an Abrams Tank, I may just lease it.

    Thanks!! We are currently strategizing our next drive to Florida ... it has been a while ... I had forgotten about the winter snow and ice hazards along that Indiana forest of windmills.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete

*AGGREGATOR* -NEWS-WEATHER-SPORTS-OPINION-SCIENCE-TECH-RELIGION-POLITICS-GUNS-HUMOR-ENTERTAINMENT-

This Blog's most viewed posts during the past week

This Blog's most viewed posts during the past month

This Blog's most viewed posts during the past year

This Blog's Most Popular Posts of All Time


'We the Politicians of the United States, in Order to avoid a more perfect Union, manipulate Justice, destroy domestic Tranquillity, provide for the common offense, promote general Warfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty for ourselves and our Progeny, do blaspheme and eviscerate this Constitution of the United States of America." ("Zack," circa 1966 -1970)
Please consider RECURRING UNIVERSAL BACKGROUND CHECKS of ALL FEDERAL, STATE, AND LOCAL POLITICIANS (including but not limited to school records, acquaintances, employment history, Social Media, financial, drug, and psychiatric screenings). Please consider TERM LIMITS; political power corrupts.