DISCLAIMER: Entries at this blog are akin to good old-fashioned campfire chats; I have no opinion on what you should / should not purchase or what you should be using / doing. What does or does not work for me could be many country miles away from your tastes and needs. Any products, places, and / or thingies that I review for this blog are purchased at retail price by me. I do not accept payment, gifts, discounts, "freebies," products on loan, demon alcohol, drugs, probation, parole, Presidential Pardons, or sexual favors (of any flavor) for doing any review.
The Preacher said, "My advice to you is to get yourself a gun and learn how to use it."


Friday, October 5, 2012

First autumn 2012 Chicago area freeze may be tonight



32 F predicted for tonight and again for Sunday night.  The bugs in the yard are already lethargic; yesterday I took this photo of a praying mantis hugging an iron table leg.  The critter was still there today so I took it over to a potted plant and blended it in.  Later I was pulling out some of the spent petunia plants from the front garden and came across a hummingbird moth.  It appreciated the warmth of my hand and did not want to let go.  I nested it into a healthy plant (far away from the mantis).  Later I saw the moth go airborne only to attract the attention of a late season robin.  Even as cold and lethargic as it was, the moth easily looped the determined robin and took sanctuary in a fully leafed scarlet dogwood bush.  In the back yard, blue jays were flitting from bush to tree and back again, feasting on the sluggish insects while rabbits ventured about, unconcerned with the yearling red-tailed hawk screaming from the nearby woods.

Without a doubt, I am still that little kid from so many years gone by, adventuring in the wonderful world of nature that exists in the tiny yard where I play.